Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Monday, March 29, 2010

Day # 42 Ulceby Lincs., to Hull Yorkshire.

           Into a dark cloudy morning, I emerged from the Gillingham Guest House  at 7.45am, rested and ready to tackle the simple task of walking to and crossing over, a VERY big bridge. Yes, the bridge's approaches through the 8 miles of country-side were well sign posted----for motorists. As a pedestrian, I was forbidden to access these approaches and had a real problem to discover the correct routing for the pedestrian way over the bridge. In steady rain, I eventually crossed northwards into Yorkshire and made my way eastwards in a heavily populated urban setting towards Hull city centre. The crossing of the 2.2 km bridge was indeed impressive, even more so, when it is noted that the entire structure, built in 1981 is supported  merely by two massive steel hawsers.
         Hull appears to be a city strung out along the  northern banks of the Humber, and I did not observe any typical city centre. I was grateful for my pre-trip research that identified certain accommodation possibilities, particularly helpful at the end of a walking day especially in pouring rain. In fact, the TV weather forecast for England calls for cold and rain for the next week. So walking types, suck it up and enjoy!
        To put the cap on a miserable, wet day, my old trusty Canon 3.2 pixel camera went AWOL somewhere in Hull this afternoon. At a loss how this could have happened, as I always loop the strap over the jogger push bar. Thankfully, all the trip pics except for todays action, have been backed-up onto my notepad computer.

26.7 kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative Kms. covered: 1040.3
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 6 1/4
Type of accommodation: Vale Hotel B & B.
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 25.00 including breakfast.

Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.

Trillium Health Centre has always been there for me and my family, I want to do my part and be there to support them. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you?  www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment