Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day # 32 Wells Next the Sea to Deepdale, Norfolk.

Ornate chimneys.


            Sauntered forth from Elderdene B & B at 8.45am. with an itinerary of only 14 kms. on for the day. My left leg shin splints continue to bother and I am told that they are bothersome, rather than serious. The only cure is rest for several days. This not being an option at this time, I am favouring my leg and will endeavour not to punish it excessively with the walking sessions each day. The long run of decent weather continued again today, although there have been recent weather forecast headlines of  ‘major troughs’ (really!) heading this way.
           It occurred to me as I was walking today that since my arrival in the UK on 15 February, I have not seen on the TV, or read in the newspapers, any article on the 2012 London Olympics. Seems like that at least for the moment, with all the economic troubles, they are a non-event. Perhaps things will change after the July soccer World Cup in South Africa which certainly the major topic of conversation in the local pubs.
           Talking of pubs, that cherished British institution, there has been a revolution in the industry, apart from the outlawing of smoking. I saw a recent newspaper that 40 per DAY are disappearing due to a couple of factors, home entertainment systems and because of very cheap beer and hard liquor available in every corner convenience store---bottle of vodka for 5 pounds. Not sure if cheap booze is either good taxation or good social policy---ask the Russians. The pubs that do remain, and there are still thousands of them, have increased their offerings to include simple meals, music and quiz nights.
          Tonight , my address, is Deepdale Back Packers Hostel. Deluxe accommodation and all for just 10 pounds/17 dollars per night. Rattling around in the place, as I am the only guest in residence, so can spread my belongings over 5 beds in the dormitory.
          Tomorrow, a strange event occurs on my walk. Although I am headed northward, to the Scottish border at Berwick upon Tweed, I shall be walking due south so as to navigate around The Wash, to reach Kings Lynn and up into the fens of Lincolnshire.
  

12.0 kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative Kms. covered: 755.7
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 3.00
Type of accommodation: Backpacker hostel.
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 10.50

Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.
I’m ‘Giving 110%’ to Trillium through my “4 Million Step Walk” because I can. Donate Now:  www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment