Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Day #15 Herne Bay to Whitstable

Thames river estuary.
                 After a night of “Gyp Tummy” as the vets used to call it, I decided to pamper myself with a resting stage today, comprising of an 11 km. stroll westwards along the Thames estuary from Herne Bay to the resort of Whitstable. Not on cliffs exactly, but the road along the seashore is raised enough to afford magnificent panoramas, especially on a bright, sun lit morning. Obviously, a lot of London money finds itself to this area, judging by the beautiful homes and parking areas crammed with BMWs and Mercedes.
          Although it is mid-week and off-season, there are very few bed and breakfasts places available in this area. A fact, explained to me by the people at the ‘information centre’ that it is traditionally a ‘day tripper’ destination for Londoners, who visit only if it is sunny and only stay a single day, due to the fact that London is just an hour away.
         Preparing myself for the slog over the next 4-5 days, into and out of the mega-urban London area. I shall lose sight of the sea until I see it again in the Ipswich area.
Have been carefully studying the maps to chart a route through the London area, using as many ‘walker friendly’ B roads as possible.
          Apparently this was the coldest winter in the UK for 31 years, and the wettest February for 11 years. Having suffered several ‘wet through to the skin’ soakings since commencing the walk on the 15 February, I am glad that I started no earlier.

11.5 Kms. walked today per pedometer: Cumulative kms covered: 356.0
Hours of walking today including rest stops:  3.5
Type of accommodation: The Oyster Bed & breakfast.
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds.30.00 (excl. breakfast).


I’m ‘Giving 110%’ to Trillium through my “4 Million Step Walk” because I can. Donate Now:  www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris,
    Looks like the spring is coming. We also can smell the spring here, a lots of sunshine. The local temp will hit 10 plus this weekend.Let's enjoy.

    ReplyDelete