Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day #31 Cromer to Wells Next the Sea, Norfolk.

East Anglia duck country.

      Enjoyed an extra hour in bed, till 7.00am, in the expectation that after a long day of walking yesterday, that I would have a short walk today only to the next larger town of Sheringham. After a relaxing cup of coffee in the warm sunshine on Sheringham’s attractive sea front, I had pangs of guilt and frankly Wilkinson #1 told Wilkinson #2 that he was a good for nothing lay-about and asked why the good Lord had given him legs. Bottom line: on yer bike mate! So chastened Wilkinson #1 headed off westwards along the rolling coast road towards Wells. In the early miles, I passed parks of perhaps tens of thousands of caravans and mobile homes. Obviously the population of this area is soon set to explode with approaching summer. Personally, I do not understand the appeal of leaving home comforts to sit with hundreds of others in an empty field, converted to high density living. Maybe I am missing something.
        North Norfolk is clearly a very affluent area that reveals this in the high quality homes and renovations that one sees everywhere. What I am unable to understand is the source of incomes to support such attractive real estate in a largely agricultural region. Are the houses lived in year round, or are they ‘gites’ for affluent (London) city dwellers who only reside in them only occasionally?
         The mobile home density dropped as I walked west-wards, to be replaced by duck hunters (of the picture taking variety, not with guns). Hundred of them spotted in the coastal marshes with tripod and telephoto cameras at the ready.
         Rolled into Wells Next the Sea with tired legs and 32 kms logged. The shin splints in my left leg seem to be getting better, but I really do promise myself an easier day tomorrow.
   

32.5 kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative Kms. covered: 743.7
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 7 1/2
Type of accommodation: Eastdene private B & B.
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 45.00

Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.
Trillium Health Centre has always been there for me and my family, I want to do my part and be there to support them. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you?  www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment