Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Friday, April 2, 2010

Day #43 Hull to Hornsea, Yorkshire (East Riding)


Humber bridge.
Stock photo---I lost my camera somewhere on the bridge! 
            After chasing the breakfast lady at the Vale Hotel into the kitchen at 7.30am to cook my ‘full English’, I emerged into a very chilly overcast day. Pre-warned by the TV weather people to expect a rainy, cold day…and guess what--- they were correct. From my overnight location in the central city area, I navigated all the twists and turns required to put me onto quieter roads heading to the north east so as to re-connect with the coast line. As the morning progressed and I gradually shook loose the suburbs of the Hull region, my route led me down lanes that were the most rural encountered so far on the walk. So narrow in fact, that I was forced to mount the banks on the road-side each time a vehicle, usually of the farm variety, passed. The countryside in southern Yorkshire is gradually becoming discernibly less flat and more gently rolling, certainly easier on the eyes, after the monotony of the Lincolnshire Fens. After a road-side lunch, of Mars bar, an apple and a chunk of cheese eaten sitting on a fence post in the pouring rain, with about 50 soggy sheep to chat with, I was still able to see the support towers of the Humber Bridge on the southern horizon that I had walked under more than 24 hours earlier.
            The routing to take me back to the coast committed me to a full days walking---no cop-outs permitted due to the uncomfortable cold rain, due quite simply to the fact that overnight accommodation is only available in the small coastal resort of Hornsea. Apparently, there is nearby a major gasification project associated with North Sea oil, and as a result, lodging is required in the area for 450 contractors. This is likely to make it difficult for the tourists who arrive here soon expecting somewhere to stay. I was lucky however and discovered a beautiful self-catering apartment above a convenience store. Looking for a room at the end of the day, especially after 37 kms in the rain, is no fun.

Help me every step of the way by supporting Trillium Health Centre. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you? Donate Now:  www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org

37.4 kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative Kms. covered: 1077.7
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 7 1/2
Type of accommodation: B & B above a convenience store.
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 17.00 each of 2 nights.

Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment