Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day #20 Chelmsford to Maldon, Essex


                              Pic to the right is of my hotel in Maldon.
        Wake to see that my window is covered in frost. The very early dawn light indicates clear skies and an indication that the high pressure system, stationary over the UK for the past week, should persist for another walking day. Appreciate the almost total absence of traffic this Sunday morning as I wend my way eastwards first to Danbury, very affluent, beautiful homes and then on into my target for the day, the market town of Maldon. A relatively short stage today, but a positioning day, ready for the longer walk into the regional centre of Colchester tomorrow. The agricultural terrain is relatively flat in this area, and the kilometres seem to come easier.....maybe it is that my legs are stronger now with 500 kms. and 3 weeks 'on the road' on them. I am amazed when I ask for directions from locals and they almost apologize when explaining to me that my destination point is a full 2 miles distant! Seems that most people here are now fully immersed into the automobile culture a la North America, that the word 'walk' is a four letter word.
        The evidence of the British recession and property collapse is clearly evident on the streets of the towns of England. Yesterday in Chelmsford, I counted 12/ repeat 12, property selling businesses in a row in the central business district. Add these to the seeming dozens of charity shops, the distress of the local high street scene can be appreciated.
See walk pics at Flickr (traveller6666)

21.5 Kms. walked today per pedometer: Cumulative kms covered: 493.9
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 4.5
Type of accommodation: Mill House Guest House
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 25.00 incl. breakfast.

4 million steps in support of the all our young and old who rely on Trillium Health Centre. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you? Donate now www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment