Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Saturday, March 20, 2010

Day # 30 Sea Palling to Cromer, Norfolk

.   Laden with an ‘estomac’ of “full English”, I took to the north-bound road at 7.30am in cool, bright, dry weather conditions. The main coastal road, the B1159 is very quiet at this time of the year. Very few cars outside the villages and even fewer in the country stretches. The coastline today gradually tipped up, meaning that the major sea defence fortifications in the form of high dunes protecting vulnerable farm land that appears to be slightly lower than sea level, have disappeared and rolling cliffs are apparent increasingly as I progress northwards. The coastal road is lined on the sea side, by caravan and mobile home parks for miles. Obviously the (temporary) population levels in these areas is set to explode come early June. The route today was a full load for me at 29 kms. I am anxious to make mileage before the forecast wet spell arrives at week’s end.
        The villages of this area have a style that is traditional north Norfolk. Walls, barns and houses frequently use round stones, set in mortar as the raw material. I marvel that there could be so many millions of perfect round stones, 6-8 inches diameter, available locally.  Net effect is a very attractive constructed end product.
      I experienced today a condition to which I have heard other long distance walkers allude. For a brief few seconds, I think that I fell asleep as I was walking. The steady rhythm of the footfalls, and a stomach digesting it’s “full English”, obviously provided an excessive sense of comfort and relaxation. Not something that I want to have happen again, with its obvious perils.
      Cromer, perched at the top of the cliffs, my destination today, is a pleasant small town, sandy beaches, golf clubs and a healthy retail environment.
       Note: automated road cameras to photograph vehicular speeders. These seem to be scattered in their thousands across the UK. Obviously people in Britain do not have the privacy concerns that saw road cameras virtually banned in Ontario. Personally, I have no problem with road cams---you speed—you pay!


29.3 kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative Kms. covered: 711.2
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 6 1/2
Type of accommodation: Private B & B.
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 25.00 no breakfast.


Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment