Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day # 34 Dersingham, Norfolk to Sutton Bridge, Lincolnshire


  Question: do they  make any smaller pickup than this 3 wheeler motorbike powered model?  

 A new day and new weather. Cold and clear with the remnants of significant ground frost as I left my Dersingham bed & breakfast at 7.15am. I prefer to negotiate a room rate that does not include the breakfast, and which is usually offered at a leisurely 8-9.30am. Not only do I save 5 pounds for the "full English", but I am sure that avoiding a daily stomach coating of heavy oil is likely better for me.
Continuing south on increasingly busy roads, I was able to leave the main A149 north of Kings Lynn (KL) to take a series of back roads and footpaths by which I entered KL through the 'back-door'. I have learned to be a little skeptical about some of these footpath and country lane alternative routes for hikers, as a couple of times, from my own experience, they have rapidly degenerated into muddy tracks, unsuitable for my 3 wheel jogger friend to pass. Time wasting back-tracking is to be avoided.
       As I move out of Norfolk and into Lincolnshire, the style of the local architecture has changed from the rather distinctive use of small stones set in concrete as the key wall element, to a more usual and widespread use of regular bricks and mortar.
      Today, for the fourth time on this walk, I was stopped by a police patrol, seeing what they believed was a man & baby on busy roads. They are always extremely polite and maybe it's because of my years, look very young and innocent. After a few questions and running me through their computer, send me on my way. Nice to know that the UK population is so well protected by such a professional corps.
      After my right turn to the west at the base of The Wash, I entered very flat country-side marked by large corporate farming operations. On this stretch, there is an apparent lack of overnight accommodation, and for that reason I was pushed to greater walking mileage today. Warm weather and bright sunshine made it pleasant.

33.5 kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative kms. covered: 817.0
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 9.0
Type of accommodation: Riverview Pub. B & B.
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 35.00, no breakfast.
Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.

In 2008 Trillium had over 700,000 patient visits. Trillium’s doctors and nurses are ‘Giving 110%’ to patients….will you? Go to www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org and donate now!

1 comment:

  1. Chris, great job so far!! I am reading with interest your adventure.

    All the best,

    Keith

    ReplyDelete