Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Day #29 Great Yarmouth to Sea Palling, Norfolk.



Main Street Sea Palling.

      Fortified with tea, fruit and cornflakes, consumed while sitting on the end of my bed, I emerged into a sunny, bright day at 6.45am.  Navigation is easy, along these coastal strip towns and all north bound coastal roads end up going where I want to go. The goddesses of the long distance walker were indeed smiling today. Flat terrain, no wind, cool and dry. The country side is gradually evolving from dairy, pastoral to have a much more flat and barren feel to it. This will increase in the weeks ahead as I approach the fen country up in Lincolnshire. To my right, mostly never nearer than 2/3 kms. away, are the high dunes marking the shoreline, but effectively blocking views of the sea. Coastal erosion and rising sea levels are a big issue here  in East Anglia. The UK Government has just announced that it does not have the funds to build sea defenses for all areas and that after 2050 it is expected that some low lying agricultural areas, including some villages will likely be lost to the ocean.
      Arrived at Sea Palling (pron. pauling) just after midday. At this time of the year, the village gives meaning to the word "quiet". I was not at all sure that there would be any rooms for rent in the town. Anyway, the only pub here obliged with shelter for the night.
        I am gradually learning the meaning of the sign "low doorway, watch your head". Never a quick learner, I am gradually learning to stoop. As so many buildings here are several hundreds of years old, it is interesting that the average adult height back then was so much shorter than today.
       The beach here in Sea Palling is wide and golden. In splendid isolation, I watched what I initially thought were local dogs swimming & playing about 40 feet out, only to realize that they were in fact seals. Unfortunately they dived just too fast for my rather old and slow digital camera to capture.

25.2 kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative Kms. covered: 681.9
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 6.0
Type of accommodation: Pub B & B
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 35.00

Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.
In 2008 Trillium had over 700,000 patient visits. Trillium’s doctors and nurses are ‘Giving 110%’ to patients….will you? Go to www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org and donate now!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Chris, Fantastic progress, keep it up.
    Saw you comment about shin splints, got to ask, how are your shoes doing????
    Pavements are hard in the shinsplints and lower back, I had to give up "High Impact" street running for that reason.
    Well padded shoes might help.
    A good warm-up routine helps too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the completion of 681.9kms. I am glad that you had a rest and your shins are feeling better. I feel like I had to duck with you when I was reading your comment, you and I would have to be quick learners if we were going to be there on a regular basis or suffer the consequences!
    I am enjoying your blogs..enjoy your walk and thank you for giving 110%!
    Steve Hoscheit,
    President & CEO, Trillium Health Centre Foundation

    ReplyDelete