Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Day #27 Lowestoft to Great Yarmouth , Norfolk.

  Of Saints and sinners. Yes, a church and TWO lacy black bras!  Who said walking quiet country lanes was boring?

     The B & B operator and his rather loud wife returned from an evening wedding at about 2.00am. and awoke the inmates rather rudely from their beauty sleep—who to complain to, when the offender is the land-lord?

      A manageable 20 km. stretch today along the coast northward from Lowestoft to that queen of tacky seaside resorts—Great Yarmouth (GY). Today’s return to GY was a classic example of the rule not to return to places. I last came here in 1964 and spent a riotous 3 days here with my old friend John Pugh. The memories, music, fashions of that trip will always be with me. In comparison, GY is looking very much the worse for wear on a cold, grey March evening. The resort is almost eerie in that there is nary a tourist to be seen. The massive slot machine palaces, and there are several of them along the sea front, are open with garish lights and loud music, but all totally devoid of punters ready to try their luck to win a totally useless prize. After securing myself accommodation in one the hundreds of empty boarding houses, taking my 3.00pm siesta, I walked the streets to find food. So much food, so little to eat, I ended up in a McDonalds to sample their chicken salad and a banana milk shake.
       I plan to rest over again in GY for another day tomorrow before tackling some rather lengthy stages further up the coast. For the past couple of days, I have been suffering shin splints in the lower left leg. Painful, I invested in a cold compress and a package of high powered pain killers. After 650 kms. walking and no rest day since Eastbourne, 400 kms back, I feel my body needs a decent lie in bed tomorrow to hopefully help the leg.

19.2 Kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative Kms. covered: 656.7

Hours of walking today including rest stops: 5.0
Type of accommodation: The Beach House B & B
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 16.00 No breakfast.

Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.


Help me every step of the way by supporting Trillium Health Centre. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you? Donate Now:  www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris,
    I am writing to tell you that you are an excellent writer! I enjoyed reading this and other entries. I hope your shin splint pain subsides...I have no advice for those! I am taking a "Boot Camp" fitness program and it is awful. I never liked exercise...could not possibly walk around the whole of England!! Keep up the great effort. Thanks.--Shauna McLean

    ReplyDelete