Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day #41 Cleethorpes to Ulceby, Lincs.

  Pic to the right. Note the off-shore drilling rig on the horizon to the left of the sign.
        Anxious to welcome and surpass the 1000 km. mark of the walk, I emerged from my rather down at heel Cleethorpes guest house at a record early 6.00am. The whole area is a maze of roads, leading into Grimsby, Immingham and all the petro-chemical refineries, plus this is the main route north over the massive Humber Bridge. Of course, all the road signage is to the fast motorways and dual carriageways which are strictly off limits to a pedestrian walker like yours truly.With only minor difficulty however, I was luckily able to navigate the key B roads to exit the connubation. Unfortunately my good intentions regarding my early start today were negated as this is the week-end that the UK adjusts its clocks to summer time, so my hour was lost!
        A mile post of note; I have now achieved in excess of 1000 kms on the walk so far and even if the wheels came off the event at this point, I would feel that I have at least earned my wings in the distance walking sphere. The next walk target point of note will be arrival at the Scottish border.
        Weather today was dry, sunny with considerable wind strength direct from the west---ie: in my face all day. I must have looked particularly fatigued at about noon, when a car drew up alongside, and expecting to be asked direction, the driver handed me a can of Foster's beer!
       Currently over-nighting in the small town of Ulceby, I am well positioned to reach the Humber Bridge tomorrow morning. Many thanks to the owner of the Gillingham Guest House for her generous contribution to the walk.

24.6 kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative Kms. covered: 1013.61
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 5 1/2
Type of accommodation: Gillingham Guest House Ulceby, Lincs. Beautiful. Highly recommended.
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 30.00, no breakfast.

Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.
4 million steps in support of the all our young and old who rely on Trillium Health Centre. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you? Donate now www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris
    Congratulations on acheiving over 1,000km walked. You are amazing and we are all rooting you on. Your blogs are great and I am enjoying your journey. You are definately giving 110%....you rock!

    Mary Sergenese
    Coordinator, Annual Gifts
    Trillium Health Centre Foundation

    ReplyDelete