Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Day # 69 Chester, England to Flint, Wales

Remains of Flint Castle.
Departed the Ormond Guest House with a complimentary breakfast and a detailed set of routing instructions to navigate Chester’s rather complicated circular road arrangement. With several helpful re-confirmations picked up en route, I successfully picked up the most walker friendly road to Queen’s Ferry avoiding the dangerous dual carriage major roads. A couple of miles outside of Chester, I crossed the national border and entered Wales. Nothing too formal, just a simple sign at the road-side saying bilingually “welcome”.
          The heavy rain shower of early this morning had completely abated by the time I was on the road at 7.30am and the strong sunshine made it feel quite warm, forcing me to peel layers as I strode forth. Perhaps it was a lazy spring Sunday morning, but I decided to limit my walking distance today to just 20kms/12 miles and enjoy the charms of the industrial town of Flint/Fflint that lies along the banks of the Welsh side of the River Dee. Located an economical room, with self- catering included, for the night, in a local pub on the main street.
        Visited the ruins of Flint castle, built in the 13th century as part of the defensive chain constructed by the English King Edward, to isolate and contain the Welsh threat---that threat still exists, of course---big time. On the rugby field of course!

20.0 kms. walked today per pedometer.                Cumulative kms. covered: 1662.2
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 5.0
Type of accommodation: Ship Inn Pub
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 20.00, self-catering kitchen.

Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.

Trillium Health Centre has always been there for me, and my family, I want to do my part and be there to support them. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you?  www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment