Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Day # 51 Seaton Carew, North Riding, Yorkshire to Seaham, County Durham.



Pic: Home of football in Middlesborough.         

         7.00am emerged into a light rain and cloud almost to the ground over the sea and set off along the deserted sea front, to retrace my steps of last night back to Hartlepool. Navigated a series of secondary roads through out the day to avoid the heavy metal monsters pounding the main A17 route into Sunderland. My route climbed steadily out of the Tees river valley & the country-side again becoming rolling, with repetitively long hills to climb following each descent. I have found that descending hills can be almost as tiring as ascending, due to the fact that the legs hit the concrete with much greater impact.
        Although the north eastern region has the reputation of being one of the most economically blighted areas of the UK, I have been impressed by the fact that I have seen here more modern housing estates, and cutting edge shopping centres than in other area, through which I have passed so far.
         Stopped this morning by the eighth police car since I commenced wanting to check the possible status of a baby that I might be pushing in my stroller. Extremely polite, I think that these young officers are a credit to their police services in terms of their attentiveness to child welfare issues.
         Rather than pressing on into the large city of Sunderland, I settled to overnight in the quiet seaside town of Seaham. Judging by the prevalence of larger homes, it is clearly a bedroom community for management types employed in the heavy industry  concentrated just north of here and through which I must thread my way tomorrow.

4 million steps in support of over one million+ patients that rely on Trillium Health Centre. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you? Donate Now www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org


 28.9 kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative Kms. covered: 1246.8
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 8.25
Type of accommodation: Tourist hotel.
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 40.00

Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment