Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Day # 47 Bridlington to Scarborough, North Riding, Yorkshire

Scarborough Bay looking northwards.


Anxious to get a head start on the tourists and enjoy car free roads for a couple of hours, I left my 2 day refuge at the exceptionally comfortable ‘Coachman’ at 7.45am into a cold, grey overcast morning, threatening what it delivered in frequent short intervals during my walking day. The countryside has certainly changed the past several days, in so far that it is now rolling, never flat, with high forelands and cliffs along the coast. I have to re-find the leg pushing power that might have deteriorated as I crossed all that flat land further south. My route today reflected much musing as to the best minor roads to take. In total, they probably added several miles to the route, but were quieter and likely more scenic.
              Can report the British tourist appears to be ending his long winter hibernation and is taking to the highways with his caravans and campervans. Determined to enjoy a bracing (meaning –cold) walk on the sandy beach of Scarborough. Scarborough is dramatically situated at the base of high cliffs and is dominated by the ruins of a castle along the cliff top above the town. Tourists also mean competition for B & B rooms  and I was lucky to find a small establishment with out trouble opposite the railway station.
           Today, Easter Saturday is the day of the annual Oxford  and Cambridge University boat-race on the Thames in London. This is the 155th edition and still appears to grip the country. The streets were visibly quieter at about 4.00pm as the race was televised.
Trillium Health Centre has always been there for me and my family, I want to do my part and be there to support them. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you?  www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org

 34.9 kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative Kms. covered: 1137.1

Hours of walking today including rest stops: 8 1/2
Type of accommodation: B & B
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 20.00, no breakfast.

Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment