Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day # 71 Rhyl to Llandudno

I stayed in this Rhyl hotel in 1950!
           Departed my Rhyl B & B at 7.15am after having consumed a ‘fortifying’ full English breakfast at the insistence of the proprietor (no charge). Weather, perfect, sunny and mild. Spring is truly showing itself in this Northern Welsh neck of the woods. Followed the main road westward along the coast, sea to my right and the magnificent peaks of Snowdonia to my left. Traces of snow are still showing on some of the higher elevations.
           Historically the roads of Wales have been twisty and slow, taking hours to get between points, especially in the summer when the population is multiplied several times in this tourist Mecca. Instead of widening the major roads for more and faster traffic, the authorities have constructed parallel freeway quality roads, leaving the original roads that connect the small towns & villages, only lightly travelled—excellent walking routes.
         Passed through several very attractive towns like Abergele, Old Colwyn and Colwyn Bay that appear to have rejected the rush to install caravan parks, bingo halls and McDonalds on every square metre of available farmland, instead opting to create parks and pleasant recreational facilities for a discerning population that reside locally year-round.
        The tranquillity of my walk today was only marred by the effort to scale two significant hills en route, although I was rewarded with inspiring sea views on a day with almost perfect visibility.
         Llandudno appears to have lost none of its charm with the hundreds of seafront hotels appearing in fresh paint ready for the season. As I made my way across the town, along ‘The Promenade’ I was aware of a high level of police activity, flashing lights and closed roads. Apparently Queen Elizabeth was in town and making her rounds of Llandudno---our paths did not cross and I trust HM enjoyed her visit as much I did.   
          Located adequate B & B accommodation without difficulty, after which I treated myself to a most satisfying 3course meal and a stroll along the main shopping streets.
  
26.6 kms. walked today per pedometer.                             Cumulative Kms. covered: 1717.3
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 6.25
Type of accommodation: Astonwood Guest House
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 22.00 excl. breakfast.

Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.

4 million steps in support of over one million+ patients that rely on Trillium Health Centre. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you? Donate Now www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org  

No comments:

Post a Comment