Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day # 63 Grange over Sands to Morecambe, Lancashire.

Beautiful but VERY dangerous.
          Woke this morning to strange wet stuff falling from the sky. …..they told me it was called rain! Have not witnessed this phenomenon for 11 days. Anyway back to the road and continued to follow the twisting route around the north end of Morecambe Bay and it’s sand flats, passing through the attractive resort town of Arnside, where I sheltered from the wet for half an hour in a small snack bar for the price of a cup of tea. In a cooperative gesture to this long distance walker, the sun emerged and so did I. Since my start in mid-February I have constantly noticed that the sun in England does not seem to actually warm the air. Cloud or sunshine, the temperature always seems to stay about the same.
          By 11.00am I had ‘turned the corner’ around this massive Morecambe Bay and came into Carnforth, another scenic tourist community. At this point, after having being sandwiched between hill and beach for several days I was certainly ready for a change of pace and the chance to escape cars constantly nipping at my heels on narrow twisty roads. Immediately out of Carnforth, I came on to the Lancaster Canal. Now used entirely for recreational purposes, it was a very pleasant southwards walk in sunshine for about 5 miles along the tow-path, to the outskirts of Morecambe. At least my tired legs were assured of a level surface, being alongside the canal.
          Morecambe is certainly another one of those dying British holiday resorts, complete with boarded up amusement arcades and derelict housing extending along the sea front. These towns certainly seem to be lacking a strategic plan, or any plan, to bring back the tourists.
           Despite the presence of many contractors in town working on another nuclear power station project, I was able to find reasonable B & B.

 26.5 kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative kms. covered: 1516.5
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 8.00
Type of accommodation: Westleigh Guest House.
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 25.00, no breakfast.


Help me every step of the way by supporting Trillium Health Centre. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you? Donate Now:  www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org

No comments:

Post a Comment