Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Friday, April 23, 2010

Day #67 Southport to Crosby, Lancs.


Attractive shops in Southport.
       After a friendly 20 minute doorstep chat with the landlord at 'Le Maitre' B & B I too stepped forth  at 7.30am into the deserted streets of Southport, to make an uncomplicated exit on the A565 southwards out of the town. The affluent southern suburbs of Southport are populated with a lots of large houses and private schools secured behind high railings. Likely the well-off, who labour in Liverpool live in Southport. Along the road, I passed the Royal Birkdale golf course, sometime site of the British Open. Found humour in the warning statement on the decorative lawn in front of the entrance, that warned that ball games, including golf, are forbidden. Houses gradually receded and I passed for a couple of miles what appeared to be an RAF airfield that appeared to be totally devoid of human occupation.
        Looming on the horizon, I could already see the dock cranes of the Port of Liverpool on the banks of the Mersey. Rather than enter this major city today, I opted, after 14 miles walking, to find accommodation in Crosby, making my entry into Liverpool tomorrow, when I plan to pass onto the Wirral via the famous 'Ferry 'cross the Mersey'.
        Seeking nearby B & B, I sought advice from a frequent source of local knowledge ---- the local newsagents shop, and was directed to the rather large Convent, off down a side street where the nuns operate a guest house, in a building that was converted some years ago from their maternity hospital. The large back garden, includes a fishing pond leased by the Liverpool police union. Upon arrival, the convent /B & B  seemed to be swarming with police and it was explained to me that the locals continually climb over the wall to caste their hooks for the super-size carp reputed to be in the pond. Explains the police enthusiasm to solve the case of the missing carp!
        As would be expected in a convent, my room is very clean & comfortable, and I only have one minor complaint--the strong smell of disinfectant that fills my room!
        At this point on the walk, I have walked a distance that equals that other popular long walk known as LEJOG---Lands End to John o' Groats, at the northern tip of Scotland. I am feeling somewhat proud of myself that I have completed the same distance in a respectable 67 days.
    
22.2 kms. walked today per pedometer. Cumulative Kms. covered: 1616.1
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 5.25
Type of accommodation: Convent B & B
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 33.00
 Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.

4 million steps in support of the all our young and old who rely on Trillium Health Centre. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you? Donate now www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org 




1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris!

    Another interesting day for you then. You are seeing all sorts of British life; thanks for sharing it with us mortals!

    Many congratulations on achieving the LeJog equivalent - that is some achievement - and you still have, what, another third of your trip to do? Or more?

    You seem to be progressing really well - congratulations - keep up the great work, and gripping blog.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete