Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

The walk comes to an end........




O8 May 2010.

          I have made a decision to call a halt to my walk around the coastline in Aberareon, mid-Wales. Since my departure on 16th. February from Bournemouth, I have covered more than 2000 kms.----- about 400 kms greater than the grand-daddy of UK long distance walks, the Land’s End to John o’ Groats, or LEJOG, in walker parlance. Although healthy and in good condition, I feel this is an appropriate time for me to call it a day for now. I made considerably faster progress than I envisaged, not only because the daily walking sections have been of greater distance, but because I mostly refrained from taking weekly rest days.
        Long in the planning, I have greatly enjoyed this endeavour and appreciated the opportunity that it gave to me to re-connect with this beautiful island and its cultured, friendly citizens. Every little town and village that I have walked through, where I have been greeted with a smile and friendly directions and assistance---thanks. Thanks to those folks who offered me a cheerful ‘cuppa’ tea as I passed their cottages and to those B& B owners who discounted my over night fee, or supplied a drink and sandwich ‘for the road’.
         I have travelled the world, but I do not recall another country where the people display such an elevated sense of common politeness and decency to strangers…..where people, greet, smile or wave as you pass. Even the sheep, bovines and equines in the fields, with whom I frequently shared my opinions on world events, thanks for your comments and encouragement.
        In the future, I may wish to complete the walk at my leisure and will do so with the fore knowledge that it will be an enjoyable and worthwhile experience.

       It was my privilege to have been associated in this venture with Trillium Health Centre, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada and I trust that my walk may have been helpful to their cause of encouraging an active and healthy lifestyle for all.
        Many thanks to the readers of this blog for their interest.

3 comments:

  1. Chris!

    I was shocked to hear your decision, but admire you for making that choice when the time was right for you, and not feeling compelled to plod on beyond the point of enjoyment.

    You have, indeed, achieved a remarkable amount, and it is pleasing to hear your positive comments about the responses you have received en route.

    Best wishes with future endeavours, and thanks again for sharing this one with us.

    Regards,

    Judy Moore (sister of LeJog'er Andy (with Alfie) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations, Chris. It's your decision when to stop, but it's sad for us knowing that the daily narratives are over - for now!

    You certainly made rapid progress. I've been wondering how much of that you ascribe to the jogging stroller?

    As you know, you put me up to that idea, and through I didn't proceed to take it with me in France (http://mylongwalk.com) and never used one for Lejog/Jogle either, there were times that the backpack felt so burdensome that I wished I'd given a stroller a try!

    Cheers,

    Daryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, Chris, for a superb achievement and a delightful report of your efforts. I suspect that all of us who have been following your blog feel a melancholy similar to that which you are undoubtedly feeling now that you're finished. Thanks for sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete