Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day # 79 Portmadog to Barmouth.

Pic: Harlech castle UNESCO World Heritage site.        

Finally, that month long run of favourable Spring weather has come to an end.
Leaving Portmadog at 7.00 am, I was welcomed by heavy overcast and light drizzle. It is necessary to understand that liquid known as ‘Welsh drizzle’…. very fine rain, almost impossible to see in the air—quite like a heavy mist, but it has the great ability to soak through to the skin.  5 kms. from Portmadog, my route took me across a narrow private toll bridge thus avoiding a long walk inland to achieve an alternative river crossing. Surrounded by major Snowdonia peaks, my coastal route was mostly reasonably flat with only occasional sharp inclines to ascend. I arrived early, 10.30am, at Harlech (famous for the nationalist ode-Men of H------) and also for the magnificent Norman castle--- a designated UNESCO World Heritage site. Decided to carry on southward along the Cardigan Bay coast through a series quintessential, small traditional Welsh villages, surrounded by the large and luxurious homes of affluent retirees and successful individuals from (England?).
         Due to the prevalence and popularity of DIY accommodation (caravans, mobile homes, camping) etc., the availability of traditional bed and breakfast offerings seems to be significantly reduced in these parts. I realized this as I continued walking for the rest of the day, eventually reaching the larger town of Barmouth. The distance and time on the road was more than my routine allotment and I was significantly fatigued when I eventually found my room for the night in Barmouth, luckily without much difficulty.
         As a young child I spent several family holidays in the Barmouth area and have to report that compared to 50+ years ago, it looks in 2010 to be noticeably ‘down at heel’, as it awaits this seasons quota of tourists. Another UK sea-side resort where the city fathers have apparently failed to come up with any cohesive business plan to market its significant natural attributes.

 34.7  kms. walked today per pedometer.                Cumulative kms. covered: 1950.9
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 10.0
Type of accommodation: Guest house.
Cost of bed & breakfast: pounds. 27.00 no breakfast.

Please go to Flickr.com (traveller6666) to view pics of the walk.

4 million steps in support of over one million+ patients that rely on Trillium Health Centre. I’m giving 110% to Trillium, will you? Donate Now www.trilliumhealthcentrefoundation.org

1 comment:

  1. Nice to have you back on line. I have been following you walk sice day 1 and you have made fantastic progress - well done. (you dont know me, I just like following walking blogs)

    ReplyDelete