Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Day # 10 Hastings to New Romney.


Terraced houses in Hastings.
     Crossed the starting line at a respectable 8.00am under grey skies, that at least were kind enough to hold their excess dripping humidity for the first part of the day.  From sea level at Hastings, I was catapulted onto a seemingly endless steep hill that provided excellent views of the south Sussex shoreline. Thereafter, it was a gradual descent in ever worsening weather, into the ancient Cinque Ports town of Rye. Not exactly sure of the meaning of the nomenclature "Cinque Ports", but believe that it was a special medieval status that was proffered by the monarch to enable them to be self governing in respect to administration & to the collection of taxes.
     Road-side sandwich watched over by 50 very bedraggled sheep, before launching into the semi desolate region known as the Romney Marsh. I must have appeared pretty bedraggled myself, as I attracted the attention of three cars (including a Kent Constabulary patrol car) that offered me a ride to the next town. Really touched at the generosity and concern shown to a stranger struggling along in heavy rain.
As I was away from an internet connection at yesterdays stop-over, I drafted my entry into 'Word', where it currently resides. Unfortunately, I have not been able to cut and paste using this new Acer note book.Where is my highly computer literate 16 year old daughter when her dad really needs her? So you may, or not, get yesterday's entry.

33.4 Kms. walked today per pedometer: 236.8 cumulative kms covered:
Hours of walking today including rest stops: 9.0
Type of accommodation:hotel B & B.
Cost of bed & breakfast:  40.00 pounds.

1 comment:

  1. Dont no much about the Cinque Ports either, cept they were all once on the sea, before the sea level changed, and there were 5 (cinque) of them.
    Been a long time I bin in that neck o' the woods

    ReplyDelete