Coastal road

Coastal road

Walk route...

Walk route...
Anti- clock wise from Bournemouth.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

30 kms.---15k in POURING rain.....

Begin Bournemouth and end at Lymington.
Well the rubber hit the road today, both in terms of distance and a very early baptism to the joys of becoming thoroughly wet through. I had vowed that my early distances would be some what less, slowly buildings when my legs and general fitness levels move up. However, my walking,per my pedometer, distances were greater than Google indicate in their beta walking maps. I will watch this over the next while and try and come to a conclusion as which is accurate.
I left Bournemouth  in the dawn light in intermittent drizzle. This gradually became heavier as the day wore on, until just after noon, it was a full fledged downpour. With lack of local route knowledge I did follow several traffic detours, and realized only after that a quick walk thru a pedestrian promenade and  I could likely have missed 10 -15 minutes of foot slogging.
Lymington is the ferry crossing point for to the west end of the Isle of Wight  (IOW). Actually, to go over to I O W is the direct and shortest route to be traveling eastwards at this point.
Note how the cars have really increased in size in the UK, without a similar increase in road width, at least on my major road today. Certainly that it appears there are no shortage of folks driving SUV,s and top end Mercedes. Gas prices are in the $2.00/L area.
Planned walking distances should be shorter tomorrow as I have couple of 'postioning' days....my feet  will welcome any moderation.

40.3 Kms. walked today, per pedometer: Cumulative kms covered:
Hours of walking today including rest stops:  8.75
Type of accommodation:  Bed & breakfast
Cost of bed & breakfast: Pounds. 40.00

2 comments:

  1. Judy Moore (Cambridgeshire)February 17, 2010 at 7:15 AM

    Good luck Chris!

    You're doing an awesome thing, and are sure to have some great times along the way.

    Hope the weather improves for you SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, that a long way for day one, keep up the post we will be watching....

    ReplyDelete